Thursday, April 4, 2013

Racing with Team Velo Girls: CCCX #4

Third time's a charm for Team Velo Girls member Simone Willett, as she learns the importance of the hole shot at the Central Coast XC Mountain Bike Race on March 30th.  After second-place finishes at her last two races, Simone scored that elusive WIN!

It was a great day at the races for Team Velo Girls.  Not only did Simone bring home the gold, but so did Cristina Mann (women's single speed).  Julie Kinder scored a silver (CAT3 women 35-44) and Jessica Uphoff also scored a silver (CAT3 women 19-34) in her very first mountain bike race ever!

Congratulations to all our racers!

Simone celebrates victory!



So it was 12PM and I looked at the weather for Tahoe this weekend and it was going to rain up at the mountain,  so I decided to go to the race in Ft. Ord. I knew I needed new brake pads, so I also changed those out after I  decided to go to the race, which by the time I got to bed, started just a couple hours later.

Got some Starbucks and made the 1.5 hour drive down and it’s lightly raining. The start of the race I took off first (Note: put the bike in the big chain ring in the front), then kept the same pace along the road to get to the single track. I let this one girl pass me but wasn’t going to let anyone else. I sat on her wheel for a mile or two before she started braking down all the downhills. I excel at the light rain and mud, I love that traction it gives you, so I passed her and never saw her again.

Before the 3rd lap I thought it was over so I was racing this guy to what I thought was the finish then slowed down until I heard my boyfriend yell that there was another lap to go! Whoops. I caught up to the other guy and  sat behind him for a while until he died on one of the hills. After that I snuck down a gu-like thing from my pocket after spilling half of it and that gave me the little bit I needed to finish off the race.

I learned my lesson about being first to the single track after last weekend I let this mom and her daughter pass me and it took me so long to get by them that I never saw the first place person again. Really makes a difference to have that positioning. I’ll have to work harder on making it to be the first to the single track.

Fun race!

-Simone

No comments: